Questions to ask
Listed below are some questions that might be useful to ask when talking about chemotherapy:
- How will chemotherapy benefit me?
- Which chemotherapy drug(s) do you recommend for me? Why?
- If I have chemotherapy, when will it start?
- If I have chemotherapy, how will it be given and for how long?
- Will I need tests while I'm having chemotherapy? When?
- How much will the chemotherapy cost?
- What are the side effects of the drugs you are recommending?
- How can I manage side effects if they develop?
- Are the side effects permanent or temporary?
- Who should I contact if I have side effects or other problems?
- Is there an out-of-hours phone number I can call if I develop serious side effects during the night or on weekends?
- Will chemotherapy affect my ability to have children?
- What do I need to consider when deciding whether or not to work while having chemotherapy?
- If I’m taking complementary therapies, how will they affect the chemotherapy?
- What exercises do you recommend while I’m having chemotherapy?
- What sort of food should I eat while I have chemotherapy?