This section provides an overview of treatment options for breast cancer.
It describes who is involved in providing breast cancer treatment and explains the different treatment options and their possible side effects. It also provides information about complementary therapies and clinical trials.
The aim of treatment for breast cancer and the types of treatment recommended depend on a number of things including:
- the type of breast cancer
- the stage of breast cancer
- whether breast cancer cells are positive for receptors, such as hormone receptors or HER2
- where breast cancer is in the body
- whether the woman has had breast cancer before and if so, what treatments she received
- the woman’s age and general health
- the woman’s preference.