Advantages of being in a clinical trial include:
- people on a clinical trial may receive a newer treatment that is not yet available to the general public
- the newer treatment may be more effective than standard treatments
- the progress of treatment will be monitored closely
- people who join clinical trials will also be helping other women who are diagnosed with breast cancer in the future.
Disadvantages of being in a clinical trial include:
- it’s not possible to choose which treatment to have
- the newer treatment might not be more effective than standard treatments
- the newer treatment might have more or different side effects compared with standard treatments
- more tests may be needed during and after treatment than with standard treatments
- it may be necessary to fill in more forms and surveys than with standard treatments
- people in the control group will not receive the newer treatment.
updated: Fri, 30/06/2017 - 13:17